Corporations or partnerships that have an inactive accident & sickness (A&S) insurance licence can apply to reinstate their licence, with the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA).
About licence reinstatements
If your licence has lapsed or if you had previously surrendered your licence, you can apply to have it reinstated. To get a link to your old account, send an email to [email protected] with your previous licence number.
Fee for reinstating a licence
The fee to reinstate an A&S licence is:
- $400 for a corporation
- $200 for a partnership
This fee will cover the next two years of the licence.
Requirements for reinstating a licence
To reinstate your licence, you will need to meet many of the requirements from when you first applied for your licence, including:
- Confirm the name of your designated agent and ensure they hold either an A&S agent licence or a life and accident & sickness agent licence.
- Be sponsored by a licensed insurer.
- If you use a trade name that is different than your legal name, provide a copy of your Master Business Licence.
If there has been any changes to your directors or officers (for corporations) :
- You will need to provide a copy of the Articles of Amendment that you filed with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Affairs. For details, go to ServiceOntario.
If it's your first time using the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies:
- You will need to provide a copy of your incorporation documents (for corporations) or partnership documents that you filed with the Ministry of Government and Consumer Affairs. For details, go to ServiceOntario.
If you have all of the required documents ready, you can begin the renewal application process.
Ready to reinstate a licence?
Who can reinstate the licence?
You will need to identify a Principal Representative whose role is to own the account on Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies and submit all online applications. The Principal Representative must be a director, officer or partner.
How to reinstate
First, you will need to get a link to your old account. Send an email to [email protected] with your previous licence number.
There is then a two-step process that involves verifying your officers and directors or partners and submitting the reinstatement application. Each step will require approval from FSRA.
1. Verify your officers and directors or partners on the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies
a. Go to the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies and submit a request to Add or remove officers and directors/partners.
You will be asked to upload a copy of your incorporation documents to verify that they include the same list of officers and directors.
You will be asked to upload a copy of your partnership documents (a Declaration or a partnership agreement) to verify they include the same list of partners.
b. After completing the application, any new directors, officers, or partner will receive an email to set up their own account on the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies.
- They are required to set up an account and complete an application confirming they are a director, officer, or partnership of the corporation
- They will need to provide their email address and one form of government-issued identification (passport, driver's licence or birth certificate).
c. FSRA will review your request to confirm the list of officers and directors or partners are the same.
- Once approved, you will receive an email to let you know you can proceed with the next application.
- This process should take 10 business days.
2. Submit the reinstatement application on the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies
Go to the Licensing Portal for Insurance Agencies and submit the reinstatement application. You will be asked to:
- Select which insurance type you are renewing. In this case, choose A&S insurance.
- Confirm your designated agent and provide a copy of their Ontario licence.
- Confirm the names of all agents who will act on behalf of your business.
- Send a copy of your application to your sponsoring company, and upload their sponsorship approval
- Pay the fee with credit card (VISA, Mastercard) or select debit cards (RBC, TD, First Nations Bank of Canada, most credit unions).
If your business is selling other types of insurance (e.g., general insurance), you can use the same business account, but you will need to submit a reinstatement application for each licence type.
What happens after the reinstatement application is submitted:
A message will be displayed in the Principal Representative's portal account to confirm FSRA has received your application.
For most applications
If the application requires additional review