New Licence Applicants: Do you want to apply for a new insurance adjuster licence? Here's how to apply:

  • Download and complete the Insurance Adjuster Application Form.
  • If you are an individual insurance adjuster, contact your adjusting firm to arrange submission of your application. Your firm must submit the application for you.
  • If you are an Adjusting Firm applying for an adjuster licence on behalf of an individual adjuster that you sponsor, visit the Online Services Portal to submit your application and pay the fee. For more information on the Online Services Portal, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Insurance adjusters investigate insurance claims and determine the amount of loss or damages covered by property and casualty insurance policies. Insurance adjusters work in the claims departments of insurance companies, or as public or independent adjusters. Insurance company adjusters represent insurers; public adjusters represent policyholders; and independent adjusters work for insurers or policyholders.

Requirements for obtaining a licence to act as an Insurance Adjuster under the Insurance Act.

  1. Complete an Insurance Adjuster application, include supporting documents and remittance fee of $75.
  2. Be familiar with the laws of Ontario relating to the licensing of adjusters. 
  3. Be sponsored by an adjusting company.

Note: Individuals employed by an insurer and working as adjusters do not need a licence.


Initially, the applicant will be granted a Letter of Authority. The applicant must successfully complete four Insurance Institute of Canada (IIC) courses after obtaining the Letter of Authority to receive a Probationary Adjusters Licence. The courses are:

C11 - Principles and Practice of Insurance
C12 - Insurance on Property 
C14 - Automobile Insurance – Part 1
C110 - Essentials of Loss Adjusting

Individuals must successfully complete an additional four IIC courses within 30 months after obtaining a Probationary Adjusters Licence. The courses are: 

C13 - Insurance Against Liability – Part 1
C32 - Bodily Injury Claims 
C111 - Advanced Loss Adjusting
C112 - Practical Issues in Claims Management

Successful candidates will be eligible to register to sit for a computer based exam through the Canadian Independent Adjusters’ Association (CIAA). Candidates who successfully pass their computer based exam with a mark of 70% or higher will be issued a full Adjuster’s Licence by the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA).

Additional information can be obtained from The Canadian Independent Adjusters’ Association.

Note: Individuals may attempt the computer based examination without taking the required courses if they have a Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or a Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation.

Sponsorship by Adjusting Company 

Sponsoring companies are responsible for investigating the record of the applicant and confirming the following:

  1. That the applicant is a person of good character and reputation. 
  2. That the applicant possess an educational background that is appropriate to the responsibilities of an adjuster of the sponsoring company. 
  3. That the applicant meets all licensing requirements and is a suitable person to receive a licence as an adjuster as appropriate. 
  4. The sponsoring company has established and maintains a system to ensure that each adjuster complies with the Ontario legal requirements and the requirements of the adjuster's licence. 


Adjusters must renew their licence within 60 days prior to the expiry date on their licence. Every adjuster licence expires on the 30th of June. The fee for renewal is $75.

Note: Submitting the application and paying the application fee does not automatically mean that the individual is licensed.

The effective date of an individual's licence is listed on FSRA's Individual Adjusters and Adjusting Companies Licensed in Ontario Application.

A $35.00 fee will be charged for cheques returned for non-sufficient funds.

Are you licensed as an insurance adjuster in another province or territory

The Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA) and the Ontario Labour Mobility Act, 2009 make it easier for an individual already licensed as an adjuster in a Canadian province or territory outside Ontario to apply for and receive a full adjuster’s licence in Ontario.

An individual holding a licence in good standing equivalent to Ontario’s full adjuster’s licence is exempted from Ontario’s education requirements.  However, an individual seeking a licence to adjust auto claims would still need to have successfully completed an exam on Ontario auto insurance.  The Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO) offers this exam on behalf of FSRA.

To apply for this exam print and complete the Ontario Automobile Insurance Examination Application Form and mail it to RIBO.

Eligible individuals also need to meet all other eligibility requirements for an adjuster’s licence in Ontario.

Individuals who are not eligible may still apply to FSRA to be licensed. FSRA will review an applicant’s education and experience to determine eligibility for an Ontario adjuster’s licence. If you have an adjuster licence that is not equivalent to Ontario’s full adjuster licence, you may qualify for Ontario’s Letter of Authority or Probationary Adjuster’s Licence.

Do you want to be licensed in another province?

​If you are licensed in Ontario and want information about becoming licensed in another province or territory, please go to: Do you want to be licensed in another province or territory?

Who is eligible under the CFTA?

​Under the CFTA, an individual holding any of the following licences would be exempt from the education and experience requirement when applying for Ontario’s full adjuster’s licence:

British Columbia:

  • Adjuster Level 2 
  • Adjuster Level 3


  • Adjuster’s Certificate Level 3


  • Level 3 Adjuster


  • Level 3 – Adjuster 
  • Level 4 – Independent Adjuster


  • Claims Adjuster 
  • Claims Adjuster in Personal Lines Damage Insurance
  • Claims Adjuster in Commercial Lines Damage Insurance 

New Brunswick:

  • Level III – Adjuster 
  • Level IV – General Adjusters Licence

Nova Scotia:

  • Level III – Adjuster
  • Level IV – Independent Adjuster

Prince Edward Island:

  • Full Adjuster’s Licence


  • Adjuster Level III 
  • Adjuster Level IV

Northwest Territories:

  • Adjuster

Not eligible under the CFTA

​At this time, individuals holding an adjuster's licence and residing in the Yukon or Nunavut are not eligible under the CFTA for an Ontario full adjuster’s licence. They may still apply to FSRA to be licensed and FSRA will review the applicant’s education and experience to determine eligibility for an Ontario licence.