Mortgage fraud is an intentional misstatement, misrepresentation, or omission relating to the property or potential mortgage relied on by an underwriter or lender to fund, purchase, or insure a mortgage. Mortgage fraud is a serious offence that in some cases, can lead to criminal charges.
Learn to protect yourself
With the excitement and heightened emotions that come with buying or refinancing a home, identifying mortgage fraud in the moment is not always easy. The following resources will help you protect your family, home and investment.
- Read our watch-list of suspect activities
- Take our Red Flags of Mortgage Fraud quiz
- Scams and warning notices: Keep up-to-date with mortgage scams to watch out for
- Understanding the Risks of Getting a Mortgage: Buying a home involves a lot more than saving for a down payment. Here’s what to watch for
- The Mortgage Application Process: Buying a house? Learn how to secure a mortgage loan
- Using a Mortgage Agent/Broker: Find out what they can do for you as part of your home buying team
For additional information, or to report suspected mortgage fraud
Toll free: 1-800-668-0128